Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I Rented this Buitoni Ravioli Dinner Only



Buitoni Ravioli Frozen Dinner

If I can stay out of the bathroom long enough, I will tell you all about our Buitoni Ravioli night here at the homestead.

First let me say that I had a free coupon to get this dinner. Well, the coupon said free. The cashier said it was up to $5.47 or some random amount. The dinner was $9.99. Oh well, That's still a good deal, and I was excited to get to try this meal out.

The basic idea is that you have homemade ravioli (sort of - if you can call frozen homemade). Then, you drop the sauce bag in a pot and put the lid on and bring the water to a boil. Hum. How do you see the boil with the lid on? OK. I peeked. But, I could hear it going, so I had a clue there. After that, you drop in the ravioli noodles which are about 3 inches across and let them boil for 5 minutes.

The final step is to drain the noodles and cut open the hot bag of sacue and pour that over the ravioli.

This is not rocket science, and it does not take long. Thumbs up on that.



The thing that impressed my son the most when I was making Buitoni Braised Beef & Sausage Ravioli with Creamy Marinara sauce (gota have a long name if it's gourmet) was the new stove burner turning cool colors while the food was boiling.



Tada! Dinner was ready in a flash. But, I must say that Buitoni looks . . . well interesting. I have provided a photo, so I will not have to put my verbal skills to the test to describe the appearance of gourmet ravioli.



Perhaps a stir will help on the plating. Or not. OK. It's the taste that counts right?

Buitoni has been making up dinners or something since 1927, so obviously there are people who must love this stuff. My son and I are not in that group I must say; however, my dog Hershey gave a big paws up. He is thrilled with people food except for that green Jell-O my Mom makes and the cheese straws with cayenne pepper.

The meat did have a sausage flavor like the Italian sausage balls on Pizza Hut pizza which would be my least favorite of all the toppings there. But, OK, it's Italian sausage but not the type I like. Then, the sauce was kind of sticky and sweet with one heck of an aftertaste. That would not be a real bad thing if the initial taste was good, but since it wasn't, I was not pleased to be reminded of my dinner all evening.

To start with, I just chalked it up. Then, I got the Tums out. Finally, I had to hang up on my Mom on the phone, because Buitoni turned out to be a rental meal.

Moral of the Story: Be sure to stock up on toilet paper if you serve this to guests. I would also recommend dinner by candlelight on this one.

3 comments:

Michael Baxter said...

UGGGG! - Sorry Cyndi - YIKES!

Grill Girl said...

Thanks. At least I know what's not for dinner around here again (-:

GaryGlen said...

Like my Daddy taught me, "If it sounds too good to be true..." Thanks for sticking your neck out for the rest of us!